U.S. and Russia Agree on Pact to Defuse Ukraine Crisis
GENEVA — The United States, Russia, Ukraine and the European Union reached an agreement here on Thursday evening that calls for armed pro-Russian bands to give up the government buildings they have seized in eastern Ukraine and outlines other steps to de-escalate the crisis.
Secretary of State John Kerry described the package of measures as an important first step to avert “a complete and total implosion” in eastern Ukraine and said that it could be followed by negotiation of more far-reaching steps to ease a crisis in which violence seemed to be growing by the day.
But the agreement, described in a jointstatement, does not specifically require Russia to remove the approximately 40,000 troops it has on Ukraine’s border, as President Obama has demanded.
Nor does it commit Russia to holding direct talks with the interim Ukrainian government, which has been another American demand. The agreement also does not mention the Russian annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea Peninsula last month.
The agreement on “initial concrete steps to de-escalate tensions and restore security” in Ukraine followed more than six hours of talks here that involved Mr. Kerry, his Russian counterpart, Sergey V. Lavrov, Ukraine’s acting foreign minister, Andrii Deshchytsia, and Catherine Ashton, the foreign policy chief for the European Union.
It calls on all sides in Ukraine to refrain from violence or provocative behavior and rejects all forms of intolerance, including anti-Semitism, which Mr. Kerry said had emerged as a worry in eastern Ukraine.
“All illegal armed groups must be disarmed,” the statement declares. “All illegally seized building must be returned to legitimate owners; all illegally occupied streets, squares and other public places in Ukrainian cities and towns must be vacated.”
In recent days, the United States and other Western nations have repeatedly charged that Russian agents had orchestrated the seizure of government buildings in eastern Ukraine.
President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia denied the allegations in a question-and-answer session on Thursday on Russian television. But he also said Russia reserved the right to intervene militarily and he used new language that asserted Russia’s historical claims to parts of eastern Ukraine.
Under the agreement negotiated in Geneva, the Ukrainian government would grant amnesty to protesters who leave the government buildings they have occupied and agree to give up their arms, unless they are suspected of murder or other capital crimes.
International monitors from the Organization of Security and Cooperation in Europe, a 57-nation group that includes Russia, are to play a “leading role” in helping Ukrainians carry out the de-escalation measures.
Ukraine, the agreement says, should also ensure that reform of its constitution involves “outreach to all of Ukraine’s regions and political constituencies.” And the statement endorses the importance of economic support to Ukraine.
Mr. Kerry said at a news conference that it was critical that the measures be “translated immediately into action” and that he hoped more far-reaching steps could follow.
“None of us leave here with the sense that the job is done,” he added. “We do not envision this as the full measure of de-escalation.”
The measures requiring armed groups to vacate government buildings in eastern Ukraine was singled out by Western officials as an especially significant measure, and Mr. Kerry made it clear that the Obama administration would hold Russia accountable to see that it was carried out.
“The responsibility will lie with those who have organized” the groups, said Mr. Kerry who added that the United States had made it clear that Russia had a “huge impact on all of those forces.”
“If there is not progress in these next days, then there will be additional sanctions, additional costs,” Mr. Kerry said.
In response to a question, Mr. Kerry insisted that the United States had not dropped objections to Russia’s annexation of Crimea, but acknowledged that it had not been the focus of the meeting.
“We did not come here to talk about Crimea,” he said.
While there has been no Russian commitment to withdraw forces from Ukraine’s border on a specific schedule, Mr. Kerry said the Russian side had suggested that the presence would be reduced as the crisis eased.
The talks were held at the same luxury hotel where five years ago Hillary Rodham Clinton, who was then serving as the secretary of state, presented Mr. Lavrov with a red “reset” button intended to signal a fresh start in the White House’s relations with the Kremlin.
The purpose of the Thursday session was to bring Ukraine and Russia to the same table, with the United States and the European Union participating, and foster a dialogue on political and security issues
As the talks began, all sides had an incentive to avoid a diplomatic confrontation.
Russia wanted to avoid the perception that it was being uncooperative in the search for a diplomatic solution and, thus, discourage Western nations from imposing new economic sanctions.
American officials have also sought to give Ukraine time to hold its May 25 presidential election without more extensive Russian interference.
European nations, for their part, would prefer not to impose wide-ranging economic sanctions, which could hurt trade with Moscow.
The deeper question was whether the statement issued on Thursday would open the door to a diplomatic resolution of the Ukraine crisis or remain a limited step that bypasses core issues like the degree of federalism in Ukraine, the presence of an intimidating Russian force near Ukraine’s border and Russia’s reluctance to recognize the legitimacy of Ukraine’s new government.
Mchael Gordon is columnist at “The New York Times”.
MICHAEL R. GORDON
APRIL 17, 2014
Related link – http://tinyurl.com/otypmxt
Search in this Weblog
Former U.S. President Joined the Terrorist State of IRI
You Don’t Deal with Terrorists
Obsolete types of Governments for the 21st Century
Why in the Future Free Iran, a Secular Democratic Republic Type Sovereignty is the only Legitimate Government Option?
If the World Wants to Witness Peace on Earth
Islamic Regime in Iran, a Puppet of Foreign Powers
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- NSA General H.R. McMaster, an Appeaser of Islam! February 25, 2017
- Obama Officials & Loyalists Torpedoed General Flynn to Protect Iran Deal February 16, 2017
- Trump’s immigration ban: 4 key questions answered January 31, 2017
- The Inspector Clouseau of Foreign Policy Calls on GOP Leaders to Repudiate their Nominee August 4, 2016
- Want to Know Why Majority of Americans Hate Hillary? Watch this Clip July 6, 2016
- Hillary, The Unpopular, Corrupt, Shameless Habitual Liar June 9, 2016
- An Election by the Wealthy & for the Wealthy June 7, 2016
- The Myth of the ‘Moderate Muslim’ May 26, 2016
- Atheists Outnumber Theists May 24, 2016
- Why Choosing Iran over Syria is a Moral and Strategic Failure for Obama May 22, 2016
- President Trump’s First State of the Union Address, January 2017 May 11, 2016
- Farewell, Grand Old Party (GOP) May 9, 2016
- Five Things we “Learned” from Trump’s Foreign Policy Speech April 29, 2016
- Trump Terrifies World Leaders April 22, 2016
- Department of State’s Iran Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2015 April 15, 2016
- The System is Corrupt April 11, 2016
- ISIS, Tehran Regime, Two Sides of the Same Coin April 9, 2016
- From Whitewater to Benghazi: A Clinton-Scandal Primer March 25, 2016
- Unwelcom Obama’s Norooz Message March 23, 2016
- Yesterday North Korea, Tomorrow Iran January 8, 2016
- The Diminished Legacy of the Iran Deal January 6, 2016
- The Hostage Terrorism Act of Islamic Regime in Iran Remains Unpunished December 25, 2015
- Why the Iranians? December 15, 2015
- The Kind of President We Need December 4, 2015
- San Bernardino Rampage Had Islamic Radicalism Tie December 4, 2015
- Obama, ISIS and You November 23, 2015
- NATO’s Turn to Attack November 17, 2015
- As Marco Rubio rises, GOP Rivals are Reluctant to Take Him on Directly November 12, 2015
- The Terrorist Iran’s Regime Calls U.S. World’s Top Terrorism Supporter November 8, 2015
- Pentagon Chief Outlines Three R’s’ to Defeating ISIS October 28, 2015
- What Happens When Terrorists Go After U.S. Power Grids? October 28, 2015
- Why the Terrorist IRI Regime’s Ballistic Missiles Activities are not Violating the UNSC Resolution October 18, 2015
- Watch Hillary Endorse the Trans-Pacific Partnership 24 Times Before Coming Out Against It October 9, 2015
- Uncle Sam Commits War Crime October 6, 2015
- Syria: Moscow Strikes, Washington Watches October 3, 2015
- Inspired to Stop Terrorism, Congressman Continues to Fight Iran Deal October 1, 2015
- US-Trained Rebels Betray US and Hand Weapons Over to Al-Qaeda’s Affiliate in Syria September 24, 2015
- Boosted by Nuke Deal, Iranian Mullahs Up Funding to Proxies September 23, 2015
- Why GOP Congressional Leaders Rigged a Law to Authorize Obama to Lift the Iran Sanctions September 22, 2015
- Senator Tom Cotton: Iran Nuclear Deal a Product of Obama’s ‘Hubris’ September 20, 2015
- Restoring America’s Strength September 19, 2015
- Carly Fiorina & Marco Rubio, The Big Winners of the Second Republican Presidential Debate September 18, 2015
- The Shady Family Behind America’s Iran Lobby September 16, 2015
- Cleaning Up After the Obama Team’s Iran Deal September 14, 2015
- Senator Your Hands are Soaked with the Americans’ Blood September 9, 2015
- Humanity Washed Ashore, Who are to Blame for this Tragedy? September 3, 2015
- The Blame Does not Go to the Liar Son of Bitch Javad Zarif May 1, 2015
- Historic Video Clip: Bill Clinton and North Korea’s Nuclear Agreement April 7, 2015
- Why Nuclear Deal with Mullahs’ Regime is Doomed to Failure March 11, 2015
- The Man Who Broke the Middle East June 23, 2014
- A Symbol of Freedom that Never Dies June 21, 2014
- US-Iranian Mullahs Pact for Resolving the Iraqi Crisis, Really!? June 18, 2014
- Major Wars Create Economic Growth June 16, 2014
- Barack Obama and Iraq – Cool Calculations June 15, 2014
- Iranian Mullahs Deploys Forces to Fight al Qaeda-Inspired Militants in Iraq June 13, 2014
- How ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi Became the World’s Most Powerful Jihadist Leader June 11, 2014
- Angelina Jolie, British Foreign Secretary Open Sexual-Violence Summit June 10, 2014
- Obama Administration Funded Terror Network ‘for the next ten years’ June 9, 2014
- “Happy” Song – Miss USA 2014 Contestants Version June 9, 2014
- Iranian Mullahs’ Regime: False Assumptions June 8, 2014
- Atomic Amnesia: The Forgotten Military Aspects of Iranian Mullahs’ Nuclear Program June 7, 2014
- Obama’s “Don’t Do Stupid Shit” Foreign Policy June 6, 2014
- Monarchy is in its Death Throes June 4, 2014
- A Fundamental Shift in US Policy: America Can Negotiate with Terrorists ! June 2, 2014
- The Irony of Obama’s Foreign Policy May 30, 2014
- Secret Diplomacy to Seal Iran Appeasement May 29, 2014
- OBAMA TO OUTLINE CASE FOR A LIMITED FOREIGN POLICY May 27, 2014
- “Happy” Song – The Mullah Version May 26, 2014
- Americans Should Embrace Wealth Redistribution Or There Will Be Blood May 25, 2014
- Video: Islam is NOT for Me (song with lyrics) May 24, 2014
- Is Democracy Over? May 23, 2014
- Iran under Mullahs’ Regime: A Land, Where Joy Ceases to Exist May 22, 2014
- U.S. Has Given Asylum to Top Terrorist of Islamic Regime of Iran May 20, 2014
Fear is the main source of superstition
The worst illiterate is the political illiterate
Struggle for Democracy
The Criminal Regime of IRI, 3 Decades of Bloodshed and Massacre
Oppressed People of Iran Warn the Green Reformers
Bani Sadr, Vertex of the Beegh Trianlge
- February 2017
- January 2017
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010